7.16.2009

Life Lessons Learned From Loved Ones



If you don't know already, this week has been a very stressful one for our family. After my dog's sister who was owned by my brother and sister-in-law passed away last Monday it really made me realize how little time that I have left with my babies. Tobi is my oldest dog. She turned 13 in April. She is the SWEETEST dog on the face of the planet. I have NEVER heard her growl at anyone. G got her for my birthday the summer before we got married. She has been around since before we as a family have. She has seen us get married, move houses, own several different cars (some she liked better than others as she is a big dog), have both of our children, lose grandparents and all the while was always there when we needed to be loved. Sooner is my second oldest baby. She will be 12 in November. She was a gift the November after we got married and except for the marriage part has been there for everything else. She is more of mine and G's dog. Such a different personality but loves us just as much. Anyway, starting last Saturday Sooner began not eating, throwing up, avoiding us, and totally not being herself. After 3 days of trying to help her ourselves we decided to take her to the vet. She was given 5 shots and sent home with tummy meds as all of her blood work was that of a "MUCH YOUNGER DOG" as the doc informed us. We went home relieved and anxious for Wednesday to see our baby back to normal. When morning arrived, she was completely herself and back to being under our feet. We were thrilled. Then I opened the door to my daughter's room to let Tobi out for the morning (as she only sleeps with her now since E lets her on the bed) she came out of the room arthritic as usual. Then the further she got, the slower she got. She stopped half way in and out of the back door not moving either direction. As I finally coaxed her back inside she just stood there. I rubbed her and went outside trying to coax her out. She hesitantly came out but just stood right beside me. I was thinking "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING". I watched her very close. She would not lay down, eat, or have anything to do with us. As I called G to tell him what was going on, I hear a loud thud and look down to see that Tobi collapsed on the floor. I FREAKED! I could not get her up so I ran to the back door and asked my neighbor to come help me pick her up and bring her to the car. G met us at the vet and after and EKG and bloodwork (which both came back as the heart and blood of "A MUCH YOUNGER DOG" as stated by the doc), it was determined that she was having back spasms causing her so much pain that she could not hold herself up. Anyway, she got a steriod shot and was sent home to recover. We went to bed anxious to see a much better dog as we did with Sooner only to discover that she had "loose stools" all over E's floor and she won't eat today. AHHHHHHHH!. So I called the doc to say WHAT IS GOING ON NOW? He said it is hard to say but to give her some of Sooner's tummy pills. So here's hoping that it works! The doc said that we can give them whatever we want because they have earned it. As I thought about that it made me realized how blessed we have been to have both of them as long as we have. As I was praying and totally stressed out, God showed me that we aren't promised one more year or week or even day. Life can be gone just like that. You need to live your life like today is your last day, love your loved ones (including your dogs) like it's their last day, and tell others about Christ like He is coming today. If you find time in your busy schedule today, please pray for my babies and also love on everyone and everything that is precious to you. Don't take a single minute for granted because it might be the last minute you have on this earth. Don't worry about tomorrow but live today!

Matthew 6:34 "Do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will take care of itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

1 comment: