5.14.2009

How Time Changes Everything!!


I have been helping out at my "new job" the last couple of weeks so that when I arrive in the fall as an "official" employee I won't be completely and totally overwhelmed as I am in charge of the cash register and check register along with helping to cook and clean. So I still totally love it and can't wait until I can "work for real". But as I am walking the halls and stairways (all 3 stories of them-great exercise by the way) gathering all of the lunch slips I am observing the kids in the hall. Wow! how time changes everything. As my memory serves me (and remember that I was a teenager when I was there so my memory is a little bias) we were not allowed to wear 3/4 of the things that I have seen on these kids. Let's see-hats, slinky skirts, pants, shirts with rips and peace signs on them, and most of all flip flops, sandals, and all sorts of ungodly shoes. As I so clearly recall I was sent home for wearing KEDS- yes I said KEDS! Anyway, I informed Mr. Bullard of these atrocious going ons and he said "oh yeah how do you like it? We are trying to stay modest without going overboard like we used to. WHAT!!!! Holy Molasses!! I told him that I couldn't believe it and that I would be talking to my attorney-no just kidding. I told him that they looked great but that he owed my $1.75 for all the gas I had to use driving home to change clothes and shoes (as you realize that this was quite a few years back when gas was 77 cents a gallon). Anyway, I am glad for them that I suffered for their benefit. There always have to be martyrs for the freedoms that come in the future. Maybe I will get a special "keds-shaped" gem in my crown in heaven!

3 comments:

  1. Why is this the first time I heard about you being sent home for not wearing the appropriate clothing/shoes. Mom says I did know but I don't remember. And I think I'm the one who needs to get the $1.75 reimbursed as I believe I probably paid your fuel bill. Sure am glad all that is behind me now.
    Love Ya
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I remember those days - you talking grandma into letting you go to school in stuff that you knew was against school policy. Sad thing is, she was the one who usually had to come pick you up to change. Glad they have made some progress on not being as strict. Too bad you don't have to suffer thru all the complaining about school clothing rules like I did. Not so fair! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that is exactly the kind of complaints that old people made about us! So put your dentures back in and stop complaining. Just kidding. Times have changed and E will benefit from your suffering.

    ReplyDelete